Thursday, November 4, 2010

Karate kids

Some time ago, Hollywood decided to put out a new version of "The Karate Kid."
My husband is watching it on Pay Per View tonight. This new version features Jackie Chan and Will Smith's son - whose name escapes me.
Anyway, it's the story of an older man who helps a young man learn to defend himself against a bunch of bullies.
I really hate the early scenes where the kid gets picked on.
It reminds me a little too much of school years when I spent a lot of time trying to avoid people who wanted to beat me up.
God really protected me from actual abuse, but the emotional stuff lasted for years.
Even so, the Lord has brought so much healing into my life. He's brought many things full circle. A few years ago, the Lord allowed me to help a woman who probably would have been the type to pick on someone like me had we been schoolmates. I felt compassion for her as she opened up and told me what her home life was like and how she'd been so angry - mad enough to start fights at school.
As time progressed, the woman seemed to sink into an even tougher situation - one I was unable to help her from anymore.
I grieved, wondering where we all went wrong in trying to help her.
One Sunday, I was praying for her, when the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme came to my mind.
You remember it: "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall; Humpty Dumpty had a great fall; All the kings horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again."
I began to think that this poor woman was like Humpty Dumpty. She'd fallen and all the pieces of her life seem shattered around her.
And none of the king's horses or men could help her.
Then I believe the Lord gave me a thought: No, neither the king's horses nor his men could help her.
ONLY THE KING could help her.
I became aware that only God could truly help her at this point.
Even today, I believe there are many battles in life that only God can help us win.
But that's the marvelous thing about God.
He's our defender, protector, guardian and friend. He's with us in those dark times when we feel so very alone. He's there when we think no one cares. He's there when we wonder if life will ever get better.
May I tell you a secret?
Life can get tremendously better. It may take awhile, but I know from experience that God is faithful.
And I can agree with David who wrote: "I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4.
And: "This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles." Psalm 34:6.
And: "A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all." Psalm 34:19.
And: "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped." Psalm 28:7.
I know from experience that the Lord is faithful and trustworthy and loyal and good.
I also know that he will be with me in any battle I face.
And while I may not be a karate kid - in the physical sense - I know how to put up a good fight spiritually and in prayer.
Because, after all, I've had the best teacher.

Blessings,

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment