Saturday, December 11, 2010

Snow lesson

The snow is blowing and drifting outside.
It's 10 degrees, but the windchill factor is 36 degrees below zero - not exactly warm, balmy weather!
Earlier today, BeBe, our little Boston terrier wanted to go outside. Now, BeBe hardly has any fur - not like Buzz, our Shelti-cross who has a much thicker coat.
So I decided to put the warm-looking pink coat that Chuck bought for BeBe onto our bouncing little dog before she headed outside.
This isn't the first time I've tried to bundle her in the coat, but each time I get the same result.
She jumps around and paws at me as I sit on the floor and try to get one of her skinny little black legs through the hole of the vest-like garment. Sometimes, she yelps as I try to get her leg in. I usually manage to get in one leg and then the other and quickly fasten the Velcro sides under her belly.
The last time I didn't even manage to do that, before she darted out the door.
BeBe runs like the wind when she gets outside. It's not hard to miss her with that bright, pink coat. When it's cold, she doesn't stay out very long.
I'm guessing that cold weather isn't her bag.
But it amazes me that she seems to fight something that can keep her warm - something that's meant for her own good.
You'd think she'd get a clue.
Yet, I guess, we as humans can be pretty clueless when it comes to God and his word.
God gives us commands in the Bible for our own good. His word is filled with direction and guidance.
So you think we'd be set, right?
Maybe not.
Sometimes, I think we're a lot like BeBe - pawing wildly, or at least not paying attention very well, when God is trying to help us.
In the first chapter of the Old Testament book of Proverbs, the writer urges his readers to embrace wisdom.
In verse seven, we read: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline."
Throughout the book, we find so many words of wisdom.
For instance:
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways, acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight:" Proverbs 3:5.
And how about this:
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:24.
And then there's this:
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1
And what about this:
"A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much." Proverbs 20:19
Oh ... and here's one that I need to remind myself of often:
"He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." Proverbs 21:23.
Here's one of my personal favorites:
"Like one who seizes a dog by the ears is a passerby who meddles in a quarrel not his own." Proverbs 26:17.
And here's more good advice:
"A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." 19:11.
As I page back and forth through the Scriptures, I recall times when the Holy Spirit reminded me of these things.
I know I've kept out of a lot of trouble by not meddling in quarrels. I've worked to let things go, because the words about overlooking offense came to mind. And I've prayed many times for the Lord to guard my mouth. ("Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14)
I certainly haven't done everything perfectly, but as I recall BeBe pawing at me while I try to get that coat on her, I know I must yield more to the Lord - even when it's not easy.
It's a matter of trust. It's also wise to let the Lord envelop us in things that can help shield us from life's storms. That doesn't mean we can avoid every storm, but we can face them with the help of a loving God.
And come to think of it, I might have a better time of getting that coat on BeBe if I prayed about it first.
That's probably one of the best thoughts I've had all day.

Blessings,

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment