Thursday, August 12, 2010

Stung

Our new little Boston terrier, BeBe, was stung by a bee or wasp or something earlier today.
I'd only let her outside for a moment when I heard this high-pitched yelping. I ran outside and she, at first, seemed to be lying in the grass and then stood with a front paw in the air.
It didn't make sense. I couldn't see a puncture wound or a sticker. Our son, Zach, came outside with a blanket and picked her up and carried her inside. He put her on the bed.
She didn't want a drink of water.
I called the vet, who thought she'd been stung by an insect. I was told to give her a baby aspirin and a half of benadryl, so I hurried over to the store.
When I came back, she appeared to be walking, although favoring that leg. I gave her the baby aspirin (they have these bubble-gum-flavored-melt-in-your-mouth kind).
Everything seemed like it was going to be OK.
I was going to get a knife to cut the benadryl tablet in half when I noticed the bumps.
She had them all over her head and on her affected leg.
I called the vet and was told to bring her in. So Zach put BeBe in the car and away we went.
By the time Zach, BeBe and I reached the vet's office, the little dog was covered in bumps.
And with such thin fur, the bumps gave BeBe a reptilian appearance. Imagine Yoda in a tuxedo.
The vet said she'd had an allergic reaction to the sting. He planned to give her a shot and watch her for a few hours and told me to come back.
Poor puppy.
She was yelping and all wound up.
One of the vet's assistants said that the little bumps probably hurt and I prayed that our dog would just be OK.
Now, Chuck plans to pick up BeBe on his way home from work. In the meantime, I've looked up the word "sting" in my Bible's concordance. I found this verse:
"Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?"
It's 1 Corinthians 15:55.
This portion of Scripture is talking about eternal life - something Christ purchased for us when he died on the cross.
Travel further up through the passage and you'll read that "Death has been swallowed up in victory."
Before that you can find the verse: "Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed - in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet."
The Apostle Paul, who wrote this text, is talking about the day when Christ returns to earth for his church.
What a wonderful, glorious day that will be!
And what a marvelous place heaven will be!
It won't be a place of suffering or pain.
Or bee stings.

Blessings,

Tammy

3 comments:

  1. Oh the poor little thing. I just shuttered when you said she was covered in bumps. I hope that she is better now and on the mend.

    Yes Yes Yes my friend...What a wonderful, glorious day that will be when Christ returns to earth for his church! No more suffering or pain!

    Love you,
    Alleluiabelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope BeBe is doing well! I've enjoyed catching up with you via your blog :)

    ReplyDelete