Monday, January 25, 2010

What's my motivation?

Lately, I've been a little concerned because book sales have slowed down.
Actually, I was kind of planning to take off January and February and really hit it hard in March, April and May.
But I know I need to sell more books to be able to buy more books _ and we want to give more proceeds to Royal Family Kids' Camps, a program that provides weeklong summer camps for abused, neglected and abandoned children in the foster care system.
Some women from my church are planning to have a camp here next August and they need to raise $25,000!
Please let me explain that the foster care system doesn't have money to put on special camps for these kids ages 7-11. And many of these kids don't get to go to camp, perhaps because of behaviors or medications that regular camps don't want to deal with or because their foster parents may not have the funds for them to go.
These camps are special because kids can be themselves and be shown the unconditional love of God via camp counselors and other personnel.
Anyway, we want to give some more money toward the cause, but it seems like every time we get ahead we have some other expenses and then need to have money for more books.
My husband never worries. He's incredible in that area!
I know I need to rest in the Lord.
And examine my motivation.
Have the books become the means or the end?
If the end is that I sell books, then I've lost focus.
They should just be the means by which I point people to Christ and help provide a few proceeds toward the camp.
My pastor reminded me of a Scripture that I clung to years ago while I was hoping and praying for Mr. Right.
It is: "Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
And there's: "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well." Matt. 6:33.
I hung onto those verses, trying to do what they said, and eventually the Lord brought me my beloved husband, Chuck.
We've been married almost 20 years!
Such things remind me of God's faithfulness and unfailing love.
It's a matter of priorities.
When I seek the Lord and (with his help) strive to do his will, then I can rest in his care, knowing that he has a plan.
"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord of hosts, plans to prosper and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future, then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you and you will seek me and find me when you seek me with your whole heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13.
O Dear Lord, please show me how to take delight in you. Help me to put you first in everything I do.
And please let me always seek you with my whole heart.
Because then, I know that I'll find you.
In the name of your precious son, Jesus, Amen.

Blessings,

Tammy M.

P.S. You may learn more about Royal Family Kids' Camps by visiting www.rfkc.org
Or you also may copy and paste this into your Web browser to learn more about the Fremont, Ne. efforts:

http://www.fremonttribune.com/articles/2010/01/23/news/local/doc4b572e2fe304a774424966.txt

1 comment: