Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When life is a deadline

Does life seem like one big deadline to you?
I think I can relate.
I've worked at a newspaper for the last 28 years - more than half my life.
I remember when our deadline was 10:30 a.m. We had to write our stories and type any obituaries that came our way and have it all done by then. Gradually, the deadline crept up through the morning as circulation directors sought to get papers out early for the lunchtime crowd.
Now, it's best if we can have stories written the afternoon before so they're ready for 7 a.m. editing.
Oh, I have other deadlines, too.
We have special project stories due by 5 p.m. Friday. Contest entries are due Monday. Personally, my husband and I have our own deadlines.
So what helps with deadline pressure?
The peace of God.
There's nothing like praying and resting in his peace, knowing that he's faithful to help. And having your mental Rolodex filled with a few scriptures is very helpful, too.
One of my favorites is: "Surely God is my help, the Lord is the one who sustains me." Psalm 54:4.
The Lord has sustained me through many a deadline. Even when I didn't meet a deadline, he provided help and comfort and hope.
God is good all the time. May we learn to rest in him.

Blessings,

Tammy

1 comment: